Taxi Driver (1976)

For an iconic American movie, I thought Taxi Driver was a Middle Aged Loser movie, with the crisis coming in earlier in Travis Bickle's life than expected.  Washed out of the Army in Vietnam, Travis (Robert DeNiro) gets a job as a cabbie in New York City (of course) and spends his time driving aimlessly and getting upset at the crime and grime he sees.  He decides to take matters into his own hands.  Violence results with no apparent consequence.

Perhaps it was a product of its time, Post Vietnam, Pre 9/11, in the era of anger at the system.  If he could yell "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore", he would.  But Network preceded this one - that line was taken.

I though the Cybill Shepard/Albert Brooks parts were the best - normal people contrasting against this burning fuse.

Just didn't get the allure.  Perhaps its the names:   DeNiro/Scorsece.  Not my type.

* * of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment