The Terminator (1984)

After struggling through the plot of Terminator:  Genisys, I was interested in going back to the original.  Some of the bits were iconic (the close up of the headlight, the naked discus thrower pose) that they made it into both movies.  And now I know who Kyle Reese is.

On review, The Terminator was somewhat ahead of its time for 1984.  This version was much more violent and disturbing than even modern day movies.  Arnold gunning down storekeepers, cops in the station house, women in the back, evil giving good a run for its money, just doesn't happen much today.  The dialogue was more than I remembered, which was somewhat limited to "F___ you A______e" but I did not remember the placement of the more well-known lines "I'll be back" and "Come with me if you want to live".

Overall the movie reminded me a lot of Alien, which James Cameron would go on to direct its sequel  Aliens, about a shadowy, evil monster that is hard to stop.  The end was also fresh again, as I did not remember any of the story resolution.

* * * * of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment