Skyfall

I waited, I put it off, I thought the previous 15 Bond movies were enough... but I went to see Skyfall anyway.   And I can't think of one I've enjoyed as much.

Perhaps its because this is in most respects both a reboot of the franchise, Star Trek-style by prequel/sequel version to re-introduce a younger version of the familiar characters.  But it also takes a page from the Superman/Batman creation story to hint at how the orphan finds himself in a new world to escape his dark past.  There are mostly hints of this:  a ring, a return home, references to parents.  So as they say at the end, the Bond Franchise will continue.

Most Bond films follow a checklist:  opening scene:  car chase/shootout.  Opening credits:  dreamy sequence.  Cool gadgets/dark villians.  Skyfall was heavier on the history.    For that, it deserves a welcome thumbs up.

* * * 1/2 of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment