Wild Things (1998)

As I gave my new book preview to Professor John, his response was "It reminded me of Wild Things".  So off to Netflix DVD I went to see if they "stole my idea" 15 years before I had the idea.




Zero degrees of separation here:  Kevin Bacon is the lead role as a detective in South Florida.  The lead seems more Matt Dillon, who plays a popular teacher.  Too popular with the ladies, as he has a Lothario reputation.  When Kelly (Denise Richards) comes on to Sam, we are left with a cut of her running down the street.  When she cries to her mother, she exclaims "I was raped!"

We have a trial with Bill Murray as Sam's lawyer.  You know you're in trouble when Bill Murray is your lawyer.  But, in a strange twist, the lead witness Suzie (Neve Campbell) who had also claimed that Sam raped her, recants her testimony.

Thereafter Detective Ray (Kevin Bacon) spends the rest of the movie to try and show that something is amiss.  Many plot turns abound.  Reminded me a lot of Body Heat (1981).  Including the sex.  If you mention this movie, you'll probably get a giggle from the fact that it is pretty steamy.  Certainly made before the time when a teacher having sex with a student, much less two, was as taboo as today.

* * * of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment